Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A Dresser Redo - Part III

Part III is here!  Are you excited for the conclusion of this dresser redo?  

Moving right along . . . 

As mentioned in Part II, I allowed the final coat of white paint to dry overnight before taping.  Then, I painted on my second color, black.


I know there are lots of tricks to getting the perfect line with tape, but sometimes the easiest thing to do is just to touch up where the paint leaked under.  One thing to remember is if you are using anything but flat paint (eggshell, semi-gloss, etc.) make sure to score the tape before taking it off.  If you skip this step the tape is bound to take with it large chunks of paint!  Here is what it looked like after taking the tape off.


After letting everything dry overnight, I did one final coat of water-based polyurethane.  If you want your white paint to stay white, make sure to use water-based poly.  Oil-based poly has a tendency to yellow over time.  On top of stain and dark colors, the difference is negligible, but on white, you'll notice.  I let it sit just one more night before putting it all back together.  I bought new hardware, black, to match the trim.  Drum roll please . . . .


Oh no!  Do you see that too?  I knew there was a chunk of wood missing from the frame, but I honestly though that the drawer would cover it!  Self, always double check!   



There are always a few final touches that need to be done once I've reassembled a piece, but this is a little bit more than I expected.  At first, I was angry and exasperated with myself, but I am nothing if not a problem solver.  So, I guess there IS going to be a Part IV.  Sigh, :)

3 comments:

  1. It looks amazing! I didn't even notice the gap until I read that it had one.
    I usually don't like painted dressers, but this one I would put in my room for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree...I didn't notice it until you pointed it out, either. It looks so chic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! You are too nice! I'm glad you both didn't notice the gap, as it haunts me in my dreams. :)

    ReplyDelete