Wednesday, September 19, 2012

A Dresser Redo - Part II

As promised, the redo continues. . . .

To ready the rest of the dresser for primer, I did a quick sanding over everything.  I use a power sander whenever possible as it makes quick work of the large flat surfaces, but this piece has quite a bit of detail that had to be sanded by hand.  When you are painting, stripping the piece to the bare wood isn't necessary.  You just want to rough up the surface to give the primer/paint something to hold on to.  Some would argue that since I am using primer, I don't need to sand at all since the paint will adhere to the primer, which is true, but I like to create as uniform surface as possible by sanding out all the aforementioned nicks and scratches.  


 

Next, I primed everything.  I like to lift the furniture of the floor so I can reach the very bottom and it won't get painted or stained or whatever to the drop cloth.  Paint cans work great. 


 I'm going to be painting a two-toned color scheme (black & white) so after the primer dried, I started with the white paint.  Always do your lighter color first.  
 
 

Before taping, I suggest letting the paint dry overnight.  More to come! 

No comments:

Post a Comment