Wednesday, October 3, 2012

A Dresser Redo - Part IV

It's finally over, I promise!  The dramatic conclusion to the dresser is here! 

I know left you on the edge of your seat wondering how I would fix the large missing chunk of wood.  Here you go . . . I covered it up.  

I went to Micheal's and bought a piece of 3" x 36" x 1/16" balsa wood.  The shelf in question was exactly 1", but unfortunately all the pieces of wood at Micheal's, Home Depot, Lowe's and Ace that were 1" wide were way too thick.  Luckily, balsa wood, especially that thin, is easy to cut using a knife.  I did just that, and  I cut it long enough to cover the entire length of the front.


Next, I painted it with a few coats of white and polyurethane to match.

Then, I glued it to the dresser using Krazy Glue.  (Well first, I dropped a hammer on it accidentally and had to start the whole process over.  Thank goodness for the extra wood!)  The wood is so thin, you can't tell that it's even there.  I made sure to line it up with the existing breaks.



In case you have forgotten, here's a before and after shot.



There were some unique challenges to this one, but I like to see them as learning experiences that will help me with my future projects.  :)  Besides, the transformation was worth it!





1 comment:

  1. What a nice furniture collection! I like it. Your collection is most beautiful. Thanks for sharing. You may get something special at https://www.boutiqueken.com/cat/home-dressers-chests

    ReplyDelete